8.22.2006

Gee's Bend



While I was in Houston, my cousin took me to the museum of fine arts to see a quilt exhibit. The quilts of Gee's Bend were done by a collective of poor cotton farming women in Alabama. Using only the scraps they had on hand, they made (and still make) beautiful quitls. I wish that I could have taken photos but that was not allowed.

So many of the quilts reminded me of Denyse Schmidt's work that I wondered if she'd been influenced by them.

There is a film that is shown that has the women describing how they came up with their designs, what materials they used and so forth. If you are in the Houston area, I highly recommend seeing this show before it leaves.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a really fun trip! That pic you posted has such a simple design, but I really like it. I see some DS in it as well.

    ReplyDelete