8.27.2006

The experiment

A couple of weeks ago I read a story about a woman who decided to bake cookies in her car because it was so hot. That sounds way better than frying an egg on the sidewalk so I decided that I would give it a try as well.

So this morning I went to grocery store and bought a package of pre-made cookies. Place and bake the package said. The instructions were to pre-heat your oven to 350° and then bake for 14-20 minutes.

The current temperature, when I started this experiment around 1pm, was 95° but feeling like 100°. This is according to the weather channel. The high for today is supposed to be 102°.

I parked the car out on the street and left it there to heat up for about 30 minutes. According to the woman in the story, it takes about 4 hours to bake the cookies.

Baking begins

After about an hour I went outside to check on the cookies. Things seem to be doing fine. The cookies are spreading and cooking. I bet they smell great.

Baking time 1 hour

It’s a cloudy day and doesn’t really feel all that hot so I don’t know how well they’ll turn out. At the 2nd hour check the cookies are crisp and cooked on the outside but still very soft to the touch. And they smell terrific.

Baking time 2 hours

By the fourth hour, I am hungry for some cookies so I brought them inside. Upon eating one, and then another just to make sure, they aren’t quite done.

After 4 hours

They’re finishing in the oven now. I think that I will try this again but on a less cloudy day and in my office parking lot. The lot is much darker than my street and it always seems so much hotter because there is nothing around.

But really, who cares how they were baked, they're still yummy cookies!

4 comments:

  1. Hysterical! This is great, Liz. I want a cookie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, intersting! We made cookies this weekend too, but in the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh definately do it at the office. You'll be the hero! Just og out at lunch and put them in...4:00 rolls around when everyone is ravenous in walks Liz with fresh baked cookies. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are hysterical! i can't believe you actually did that. and i'm glad you did because i've always wondered...

    ReplyDelete