3.26.2007

Purge

In AutoCAD, there is a purge command. Purge is one of my favorite commands. The function of purge is to rid the drawing of any layers, blocks, and text style that are not needed, therefore freeing up space. CAD drawings are huge files. The size of the drive that my office keeps the drawings on....6.5 gigabytes. Now if you are like me and not really knowing what that means just think of this....my iPod holds 30 gigabytes. Something ain't right here, ya know? Anyway, I digress....

My point of all this is that wouldn't it be nice if there were a purge function for your brain? Just think of the stuff you could get rid of: your childhood best friend's phone number, the birth dates of old crushes, the fact that every time you hear a certain INXS song you are taken back to a random and not at all important memory. I need this function because I can't remember things like my former address from less than 2 years ago, frequently my own home phone number, what I ate for dinner last night.

In the Harry Potter books there is a pensive. It's a bowl where you can place memories to make space in your brain and if you need the memory again, there it is. That also would be a good thing to have. Then I could save the important stuff and purge the junk.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, how I need that function!!! INXS brings up all kinds of stuff, as does The Talking Heads, REM, Peter Gabriel, David Bowie...need I go on? But don't even ask me what my kids birthday's are! And SS#? WTH is that??? lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! Meant to say...

    I've had friends from out of town here since last Friday morning...one just left tonight. I haven't seen ONE EPISODE of Law & Order in almost a week!!! I'm actually having withdrawls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so remember the Purge command. It was frightening and exciting all at the same time. I think a Purge feature would be just as exciting if not more so in real life!

    ReplyDelete