6.02.2006

The possum saga continues

Just when I hoped it might be over, the young possum showed up tonight. Even though I really should have known better, I let the dogs out to go after it. You see, this afternoon, Gus decided he really wanted to go after a squirrel on the fence. Gus gets air. You saw the picture. You know. Today he was able to jump so high that he was on the fence. Perching like a chicken. More of his body was in the neighbor's yard than mine. And not the neighbor I know. No, the neighbor behind me. And of course I wasn't dressed. Why do the dogs always get up to no good when I'm not dressed?

So I'm yelling like a drunken banshee and finally Gus decides that he will not make me go hoarse and gray and jumps down into my yard.

Anyway, I digress...back to this evening's adventure.

Gus pulls the young possum down from the fence. He and Lulu struggle with it until I get out there and tell them to leave it. Don't think that worked. I had to grab Gus by the scruff of his neck and drag him into the house and then shut the door. Then I go back to get Lulu.

When I get in the house, there is a stench. On lord was there a stench. This smell was not new to me. I smelled it the time Lulu brought the dead possum into the house. It was the smell of possum shit. I look down. Smudges of it on my bare feet. On my hand. Which means it's on one of the dogs.

I have cleaned everything up, included wiping off Gus's mouth and washing my hands in super hot detergent water and my hand still smells nasty.

The kind of nasty that is so bad you have to sniff it again, just to make sure your brain isn't making this up.

And the dogs are not sleeping in my bed tonight.

1 comment:

  1. This is SO wrong. Home ownership should not involve possum shit. Who do we talk to about this?

    ReplyDelete