9.18.2007

ACL wrap up

My ACL weekend didn't quite turn out as expected. It started out pretty good though. On Friday morning, Kristin, El Hombre and I headed out to Zilker park. We got a sweet (i.e. free and close in) parking spot. Once we got in the park, of course we had to eat.

Kristin and El Hombre each got a chopped BBQ beef sandwich and shared a side of fried zucchini sticks.

IMG_1986

IMG_1987

And I got a beef and lamb gyro (not shown) and a cherry limeade from the Sweet Leaf ice tea people. Good stuff.

IMG_1989

As you can see, Kristin was happy.

IMG_1988

It was hot. Damn hot. We wandered over to one of the stages, luckily it was near a small patch of shade, and settled in. Pete Yorn came on a started his set. I noticed some dark smoke on the other side of the park and thought to myself "hmmmm, that ain't right". It got darker. And darker. People started paying more attention to the smoke than to Pete. Then, there were flames. Finally, Pete stopped singing and the calmest, nicest announcement was made for everyone to "please move away from the fire. mmmmmkay? thanks". It was out a few minutes later. Turns out a propane tank (and propane accessories?) exploded and took out an rv and an 18 wheeler full of beer. Unfortunately, 4 beverage distribution employees were injured, but no festival attendees.

IMG_1997

After that the day went on as normal. Kristin took a nap.

IMG_1993

We took the obligatory self portrait photo (which never quite turns out right).

IMG_2003

And we people watched, looking out for bad fashion choices everywhere.

IMG_2007

Then came Saturday. It was not a good day for me. I woke up with some kind of gastrointestinal mess that is just better not talked about. Let's just say that whatever I had and porta-pottys...not a good combination. Most of Saturday I spent camped out at my aunt's house and the part I was there for, well I really don't remember it. By Sunday morning I couldn't even leave the house. Maybe next year will be better.

1 comment:

  1. fun! that bbq sandwich looks scrumptious. too bad about your tummy. hope you're better. i once saw pete yorn play in austin, at stubb's.

    ReplyDelete