12.16.2007

Trail of Lights

A couple of nights ago, the boyfriend and I went downtown the walk Austin's Trail of lights. It's held every year in Zilker Park and is a mile long display of lights. At the beginning of the trail is this pretty tunnel of lights. I have to say, it does put the tunnel of lights at my other favorite walk of lights to shame.

IMG_2229

The boyfriend and I attempted to take our own photo. It took 3 tries to get this one, which is not the greatest but it will have to do to capture the moment.

Self portrait

And then we were off, walking down the trail oooing and aaaahing over the lights. Okay, not really. But I did take a few photos. I really liked the first display which was of Where the Wild Things Are (which btw I just discovered is being made into a movie...interesting).

IMG_2233

Further down the trail was a cute train headed to the North Pole.

IMG_2237

Across from that was a food area and we were excited to see that the Hey Cupcake! people had a stand. But they were out of cupcakes, which I was okay with actually because I was still stuffed from our dinner earlier at Romeo's. So we continued on. And on and on. Who knew a mile trail could be so long? Were we starting to feel Grinch-y?

IMG_2240

Then we saw something we could not believe. Southpark characters mingling with the Peanuts gang. What?! Who thought that was a good idea?

IMG_2245

Near the end there was another tunnel of lights. It was very cool since in the dark the blue lights really looked like they were floating.

IMG_2259

And then the finale, the Zilker tree. We did not go stand underneath and spin around, as is the tradition, mostly because we were tired and also because I might have hurled my dinner everywhere. So I just stood across the street and took a photo for y'all.

IMG_2262

Of course, no Trail of Lights (or any other Zilker park function for that matter) would be complete without getting yelled at about damnation and eternal fire by people trying to save your soul as you left the park. I get what they are trying to do, I really do, but come on. How receptive do they think people are going to be to that? Not to mention the yelling really shattered the mellow holiday mood.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post!! Thank you for the photos of Christmas in your neck of the woods--- but especially for the photo of you and the man---VERY NICE!!!

    ReplyDelete