5.28.2006

The weekend

Aunt Wy
This Memorial day weekend has not turned out the way I planned. Early last week, my great aunt Wynona passed away. Aunt Wy was a soft spoken woman. She had to be, since my great uncle was just the exact opposite. Purple was her favorite color and she loved flowers. She and her husband would have been married 64 years in October.

On Friday, I left work early to meet up with my parents and sister so we could drive down to Pearsall. My dad was born in this small town that is south of San Antonio and my grandfather and other relatives are all buried there. Before the graveside service, we stopped at my grandfather's grave. It's the first time I've been back since he died in 1996. My grandfather worked with granite and made his own monument. Even creepier is the fact that it already has my grandmother's name on it. It's just waiting for the year of death.

I drove home on Saturday night with all kinds of good intentions for today. I was going to get up early and head into the office to take care of some projects that needed to be finished on Friday but that I did not get done. Yeah. That didn't happen, although the dogs did let me sleep in. Normally they are up and at 'em by 7am. This morning I got up at 8:30 and I'm pretty sure I could have kept on sleeping and they wouldn't have even noticed.

Eventually, I went in to the office around noon. Now it's 4pm and I'm so ready for a nap before going to dinner with a friend.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Liz, I'm sorry for your loss.

    It creeps me out when they do that with gravestones.

    ReplyDelete