10.24.2007

And there was cooking!

Cold weather = chili time. And from the looks of the shelves at the ol' HEB last night it seems like every one had the same idea. There was not a single can of kidney beans to be found. I know, I know, putting beans in Texas chili is insane but I was making a Cooking Light recipe so pinto beans were substituted.

I cooked!

The recipe is beef and beer chili from the September 2007 issue of Cooking Light.

Browned beef & stuff


simmering

It was pretty good despite the pinto bean substitution, not having enough chili powder and using Miller Lite instead of the Budweiser called for. I'm not a beer drinker and had planned on buying a single bottle at the gas station but when I mentioned this to a coworker this morning she said she had plenty of beer at home and would bring me back some after lunch. She was also kind enough to provide me with the egg that I needed for my cornbread but had forgotten to buy at the store last night (do not shop hungry--I bought cheese, sour starbursts and Halloween oreos but forgot the eggs and probably something else more important that I'll remember tomorrow). The cornbread, not pictured, is really better left unmentioned.

3 comments:

  1. wow, that's a big ol' pot of chili! looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good with all that cheese on it!

    And I shouldn't have read that post about Sprinkles...I linked over there, so guess what I'm craving now??? lol!

    ReplyDelete